Manuel Nappi did his BSc and MPhil degrees at the University of Turin, Italy. In 2014, he obtained his PhD in Organic Chemistry at ICIQ (Institute of Chemical Research of Catalonia, Tarragona, Spain) under the supervision of Prof. Paolo Melchiorre. In 2012, he did 6-months research stay in the group of Prof. David MacMillan at Princeton University (NJ, US) working on photoredox catalysis. His thesis focused on the development of novel aminocatalytic and photochemical reactions.
At the end of 2014 he joined the group of Prof. Matthew Gaunt as postdoctoral research associate at the University of Cambridge, UK. From 2016 to 2018 he was awarded with the prestigious Marie Skłodowska-Curie fellowship from the European Commission. In Cambridge, Manuel had the great opportunity to work on different fields of chemistry such as palladium catalysis, C-H activation, DNA and RNA chemistry, epigenetics and protein functionalisation. From 2017 to 2020 a collaboration project with the group of Prof. Shankar Balasubramanian led to the discovery of the first selective functionalisation of N6mdA in DNA.
In November 2020 Manuel joined CIQUS as junior scientist to develop his independent line of research, which focuses on the invention and development of visible-light-mediated chemical reactions.
- S. R. N. Kolusu, M. Nappi, Chem. Sci. 2022, 13, 6982–6989.
- M. Nappi, A. Hofer, S. Balasubramanian, M. J. Gaunt, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2020, 142, 21484.
- J. Rodrigalvarez, M. Nappi, H. Azuma, N. Flodén, M. Burns, M. J. Gaunt, Nature Chemistry 2020, 12, 76.
- M. Nappi, C. He, W. G. Whitehurst, B. G. N. Chappell, M. J. Gaunt, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 3178.
- M. Nappi, G. Bergonzini, P. Melchiorre, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2014, 53, 4921.
- F. R. Petronijević, M. Nappi, D. W. C. MacMillan, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135, 18323.
- Y. Liu, M. Nappi, E. Arceo, S. Vera, P. Melchiorre, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 15212.
AWARDS and FELLOWSHIPS:
- Thieme Chemistry Journals Award 2023
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship (IF-EF) 2015
- FPU predoctoral fellowship 2011